You’ve put your blood, sweat, and tears into developing your app – and you’ve just passed Security Review. Congratulations! Now, let the masses come! Wait, you mean to say I have to market this app, too? Don’t you worry. Coming from the glory of Dreamforce 2014 sessions, we’ve compiled the best 10 tips for marketing your new app. Before we get started, here are just a few statistics to know about our AppExchange visitors:
There are 10,000 new visitors to the AppExchange each week. That translates into 59 visitors per hour, or about one every minute!
Visitors are searching with intention. They are not browsing. This is something to keep in mind.
Approximately 53% of visitors are admins who have the ability to install the app immediately. We want to grab their attention, like now.
Six new apps are added each day. There is competition out there.
There are 1.5 new installs every minute. There is a lot of potential out there!
Ready, set .. Our Top 10 Best Practices!
1. Your AppExchange Tile is your biggest and best opportunity to make that great first impression. The tile should stand out, catch a visitor’s attention, and include a call-to-action.
2. Your screenshots should tell a story. Highlight what the visitor should see. Add narration text to walk a visitor through the app. Also, your first screenshot is another opportunity for a call-to-action.
3. Adding a video demo is so important, it is perfectly fine to record it with a clean Screencast in your living room. Again, tell a story, but most importantly, this video needs to be shorter than two minutes.
4. Your Install Link deserves a lot of attention. We want installs!
5. Most potential customers will read customer reviews before downloading any app. So, engage with your customers, and ask for reviews. Read and respond every day.
6. Be accurate with your messaging. Know your audience. Using conversational and concise messaging, and position yourself as an expert leader who is current in your market.
7. Be sure to think wisely about your value proposition, and sell the benefits of your app. Your space is limited: 80 characters for the tagline, 255 characters for the brief description.
8. Know your keywords, and hit on those keywords. Take advantage of those SEO evaluation tools to gain an understanding of where your app will show up in search results.
9. Be upfront with your pricing. We no longer live in a market where you have to speak with someone to get quotes. Just post it.
10. Keep your content fresh! Yes, we have thousands of new visitors each day, but let’s not forget those returning visitors. There are countless opportunities to appeal to admins who are ready to download. Be sure to iterate on your tiles and screenshots. If you’d like to see more details, check out: